Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Oh What A Difference A Letter Makes

Over the past 2 years I have had a lot of time to think and reflect on my life. God has grown me in many areas. I would like to take this opportunity to share with you some of those lessons.

While driving down the road a thought came to mind. Have you ever wondered "What's the difference?"? As I began to think about this question a few differences came to mind.

The word "altar" is only different from the word "alter" by one letter. But, oh how different their meanings are. An "altar" is a place we go to for communication with God. A place for reflection. A place to cry. A place to leave an offer. But the operative theme of the "altar" is in the action, not the location. If we go to the "altar" and never "alter" our lives, or allow God to "alter" our lives, then the "altar" is just that, a place. Oh what a difference a letter makes.

As Sherri and I were driving in Louisiana, trying to locate a customer, I noticed another truck. The driver was trying to get himself out of a tight spot. I began to reflect on all of the mental and physical preparation that was necessary to maneuver around a corner with a 65 foot vehicle. It required forethought concerning the size of the lane to be turned into. It required proper positioning within the lane to be turned out of. And it also required looking for objects that might get in the way. Do you think ahead? Do you position yourself to be prepared for bends or turns in your life? Do you look for objects that might get in the way of God's plans for your life?

I noticed the writing on the side of the trailer. It said "lastic". I realized very quickly that a letter was missing. I told Sherri that a couple different letters would fit in the empty space. If the letter was "p" the word would be "plastic". It would describe something rigid and hard to bend, quite like the 53 foot trailer the other driver was pulling.

The other letter that came to mind was "e", making the word "elastic". How much easier would it be for that driver if the trailer would bend or wrap around the corner?

I to think about my life. How, often times, I am rigid and inflexible in my ways. Being firm in your convictions in not a bad thing, but never being willing to bend can cause a lot of heartache. Are we like that with God? What about His people? The Bible describes it as "stiff necked". Oh what a difference a letter makes.

I began to think about other words and 3 more came to mind; "to", "too", and "two". The word "to" denotes direction. The word "too" denotes inclusion. And finally, "two" denotes addition. We may have direction in our life, but without adding new experiences or including new people, then we really aren't going anywhere. If all we do is include everyone, but aren't going anywhere, we become stale, and we add no value to our life. Oh what a difference a letter makes.

And finally I began to think about the Bible. It is a love letter from the One who created us. It is a letter addressed to us personally; "My Beloved". The Bible tells us how to live, how to love, and most importantly, how to spend eternity with our Lord. Oh what a difference a letter makes.

As I posted a teaser in my FB status today, a dear friend pointed out another couple letter differences, so I will share them here as well. Do you have one true "G"od in your life? Or are you controlled by many "g"ods? Do you refer to God as "h"im, or do you show reverence and refer to God as "H"im? To most these differences are subtle. To some they are even insignificant. But to "G"od they are worlds apart. You see, this world has a "g"od, "h"is name is Satan. And "h"e loves to disguise "h"imself to look as much like "G"od as possible. But if you know "H"im personally, you will never be fooled by "h"im. Oh what a difference a letter makes.

1 comment: