Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Facebook: Friend or Foe?

Some of you have noticed that I have not been posting to my blog for quite some time. Some have even taken the time to encourage me, and I appreciate that. While thinking about why I have felt no compulsion to write lately I came across this thought somewhere in the back of my brain.

Is Facebook a good thing or a bad thing? First, what is Facebook? Most people know it to be a web site where a lot of time is spent doing nothing of real value. Some know it as the cleaner version of MySpace. Some are entirely wrapped up in the games that are offered. And some are just happy to check in on occasion to see what their friends might have posted, but it does not consume their lives.

As a long-haul truck driver I am away from home for weeks on end, sometimes as many as 8 at a time. Therefore, Facebook is just one form of communication with my family. As a trainer I spend many hours just sitting while my student gets experience behind the wheel. Most of this time does not require direct supervision, so Facebook is a diversion for me. I have had the opportunity to connect with friends from time gone by all across the Country, even being able to get together for a meal. I have been able to receive encouragement from many of you. Spending long hours on the road either alone or with a stranger can be pretty discouraging. I have even had the honor of being an encouragement to some. To put it simply, I have found Facebook to be a lifeline of sorts.

Some might try to convince you that Facebook is just a waste of time. Others are completely addicted to it, spending countless hours in front of their computer screens. I simply find Facebook to be an outlet for relaxation, similar to TV, and another form of communication, like the telephone.

I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know many of you better than ever before. Thank you for your support, encouragement, and especially your prayers while I have been separated from my family (which includes many of you). You mean a great deal to me and are a very vital, special part of my life.

May God bless you richly.

2 comments:

  1. I think Facebook is like anything else in our lives... we can take it to the extreme... or use discipline and restraint. Social Networking, as so many other things can be a blessing or a curse.. it's the age in which we live... can you imagine what it will be like for our children or grandchildren should the Lord tarry? Hard to grasp!

    Good post.. Praying for you and your lovely wife Sherri and your beautiful daughters!
    "CL"

    ReplyDelete